ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

February 25, 2008

Speech Meet

Drew is a speech geek. I went to his meet on Saturday and found out that being a geek is a prerequisite to being on the speech team. At least if you took a look around you'd think so. It was like Geekville in there.

Drew's coach will not let the kids participate if they do not dress professional. There is a dress code, but it is more like not being obscene, or immodest, and you can't dress for your piece.
I had to get a few pics of the kids, so Drew asked these kids from another school if I could put them on my blog. He posed with them. He is on the right end. His suit coat is somewhere. They guy in white was hysterical, I had to get him on here. His hair is all wacky and cool. But there were horrors in the dressing department, too. This girl looked so bad I wanted to cry for her. What you can't see because of the blur (I didn't have permission to get her on here.) is that it isn't just too casual, it looks bad also because it is not in good condition. That isn't a skirt with biker shorts, it is a long shirt with biker shorts and a sweat shirt over it. And her colored hair was barely more than brushed.
There was so much of that. People who obviously hadn't washed their hair in awhile. I understand the casual clothing, some people just can't afford a good outfit. (though we got a suit for like $12 at a thrift store) But the lack of grooming was so bad.

One girl was dressed really, really nice. All professional, great hair and make-up. But she paired it all with mismatched socks and brown plaid slippers. With a suit dress. (I love mismatched socks! But not with a suit dress, she needed nylons and dress shoes!)


The fun was in watching the kids, though. Two kids that I SAW picked their noses. With hundreds of kids all around them them. One was even a girl.

The conversations were fun, too.

"Oh my gosh, like, the judges are all 'You did great!' and then give you a bad score. Why don't they just say 'You suck' and get it over with?"

"Really, I hate that!"

"No kidding."

(up walks another girl)

"Ugh! This judge just said flat out that I am NOT funny! Seriously, she just said it like that 'You are not funny, it is just annoying.' Can you believe that?"

"Oh, that's mean, I can't believe that."

"Yeah, why would she be like that?"

So I said:

"Didn't you guys just say how you wanted the judges to just tell you when you suck?"

"Yes, and we think its funny what the judge wrote, she hates her piece anyway."

Is there anyway to understand teens? LOL

I would post the video of Drew's speech, but it won't upload, even to youtube. I want to do a vote on whether or not Drew should find something else or if other people think it is funny. I think it is horrid. I'll keep trying.

4 people think my kids are qtpies:

Melissa said...

Oh teens. My husband and I are afraid of those days when are little one will get to be that point.

Carina said...

Academic tournaments could be like that too. It was scary. Some of the greatest people were on the academic teams, and also some of the most arrogant.

We were definitely all geeks, though, that's for sure!

Unknown said...

Do you think the lack of grooming is a trend in young people, or was just a trend at that event? I'm curious. I wish you could have downloaded his speech. That would have been so interesting. I love public speaking. I even watch the winning highschool speeches on You Tube.

Sassyfrazz said...

OH, those clothes are hysterical! I can't believe that biker shorts are back...I wore them back in the 90's (but not publically on purpose).

I miss you~ hope all is well! How is the prep for you mom coming along?