ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

September 05, 2008

Just when you think you are a horrible parent

Last night was a pretty bad evening with the kids. The house was trashed and I had set the rule that they can't watch TV or play games/computer until their homework and chores are done each day. Every day this week I have had to tell them to do chores. And they act like it is new or something. "We never have two chores when we cook!" (umm, look at the schedule, it's been that way for 6 months) "What!? I've never had to thaw out meat for my night, it is always just there!" (umm, no, you just don't pick and then we have to go to the store every night to get supper fixings) "We never clean good enough for you, if five of us can't please you, maybe it's YOU and not our cleaning!" (or maybe when you are done cleaning and then I go and mop after you and I blacken THREE disposable mop pads, it isn't clean enough!)

So, yeah, last night was a lot of screaming and tears and grounding and such. I was mean mom extraordinaire.

Then tonight, Devon, my strange Devon, asked me if he could go to the football game.
Not a problem, if you have money. Well, he didn't and would appreciate $4 for it. I can't spare it this check, I have $80 to feed 10 people for the next 7 days. (thank goodness I don't need meat!)
And Devon says
"Thank you. You know, for all you do and stuff."
And I asked him "Are you being sarcastic or sweet?" So not like him!
"No, really, I was thinking about it last night. You guys do so much for us and everything. And I've seen other parents and they aren't good, they don't get it. And you guys are what parents are supposed to be."
"Even though we are horribly mean?"
"Yes, you are supposed to be mean, you have to do it."

Who are you and what have you done with Devon?

Just last year, just 13 months ago Devon was having a fit about us not letting him hang out at the fair that turned into a tantrum about us being "poor" and him not having name brand clothing and all the latest games and such, it even ended with Devon and Drew in a fist fight. (Drew defending me)
Really, what happened? Devon has matured this year and I am just blown away over and over and over this summer. Earlier this week I had someone compliment me on how polite and kind Devon is. If you have any idea of the trouble we've gone through with him, you'd know how that moves me so.
I was shocked enough that it dawned on him this week that when he follows the rules he has lots of freedom, and when Drew broke the rules he had NO life, so he plans to have lots of fun following the rules. He also said he plans to keep his "lipginity" for an indefinite period of time, I'm thinking he meant at least through high school, not sure if he meant until marriage or not.

OK, I'm done, I will start bawling soon if I don't stop!

11 people think my kids are qtpies:

Rosie : ) said...

What a great thing for him to say. :) Kids, at any age, can truly surprise us!

Carina said...

Every now and then they say something that makes it all worth it. =)

Mim said, "This is a delicious supper you made tonight Mama!" Of course, she was just showing off because her brother was complaining, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Mrs. Stam said...

Kids could be so sweet a minutes but monsters another LOL WE have to take the sweet moment when they come and forget the bad one!!!!

It's amazing seeing them getting mature! Good job Mama

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh my gosh, I can't imagine my boys growing up and the things they'll do or say...

Steph

Kat said...

It's so nice to see when kids really "get" why we do what we do.

Kris said...

Whatever alien life force has invaded your son....give them our GPS coordinates, will ya?

I'm bawling FOR you!

Sassyfrazz said...

That is a great thing that he was viewing the whole picture! Good for him! That speaks maturity in volumes. I agree, he has grown a lot over the last year and a half!

I am excited to see you tomorrow! I hope everything went well for you today! Missed talking to you today!

Anonymous said...

Wow, kids can really surprise you sometimes. That is really great to hear.

Mike and Katie said...

I can relate with the challenges and tantrums by grown boys. Stiil waiting for the sweetness.

Stretchy wraps are difficult to back-wrap, but I just bought 5 yards of 45" width cotton gauze/crinkle cotton to use for my wrap. It was $1 per yard at Wal-mart. No sewing required.

We're working on being debt free but have decided to keep the mortgage a while longer in order to adopt a few kids. That's the only debt we have left.

Cheers!

Oldqueen44 said...

Ha Ha, Isn't life great? Aren't kids a blast? Don't you just wish you had another dozen or so?...
Well you know you are doing the right stuff when they come around and appreciate you for all your mean moments. Even with the grandkids I tell them... Don't ask me, I'm the mean grandma.

Unknown said...

Stam house has it right. We've got one that swigs the whole length of the pendulum on a moment-by-moment basis. For as often as she turns on the appreciative charm when she wants to, I know it's got to be in there on the bad days, too.