ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

September 29, 2008

What is Quiverfull?

I know that many people do not understand what I mean by being Quiverfull, and others just can't understand why we'd have seven children. (and would love more!)
God's Word states:
Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.
Psalm 127:3-5 (KJV)

Children are God's reward! How can that ever be bad or too much?

There are so many verses that can lead a person to the understanding that God wants you to have children and not restrict them. Go forth and multiply, anyone? That is still relevant for today.

But, honestly, it wasn't a Bible verse that led us to being quiverfull. It was the Holy Spirit. It was a long road for us, but we believe that we should not restrict our fertility, but leave it in God's hands. We have been walking this life for probably 8 years now, nearly 6 since the reversal surgery, and have never been happier!

We worried about being able to afford more children. The more we trusted God with this, the more blessed we became, both spiritually and financially. They have never gone without anything they needed, and have rarely been denied things they want, within reason. God is good!

We worried we'd be popping out babies left and right. That hasn't happened. God has spaced our children out until we are begging for another! We have gone from not wanting more to begging for more children! What a turn around in our hearts! Strange how having more children would make us crave more children, isn't it? The change in our hearts, and the change in our children's hearts and characters, the happiness that we now have, and the amazing trust and love for God we now have are a result of the decision to leave our fertility in God's control.

I highly encourage everyone to pray about and seek God's desire for their fertility, but I don't make the judgement call that this life is for everyone. I ask the same respect from you; don't judge me on my choice.

Does this mean I want as many children as I can have? Nope. Quiverfull means leaving it to God. Eighteen children or none, it is God's choice. You can't find a better way to learn to trust God! Or to learn your flaws, lol, children are a mirror to your worst flaws.

7 people think my kids are qtpies:

Mrs. Stam said...

Awesome post my dear!!!! We too also trust God with our family size and to provide for us!

and He does space them in a way that you are carving more I know the feeling and Rebekah wasn't 12 months before baby #2 came along and we were ready for it a couple month before that!!!

Thanks for sharing this post!
Renee

Jackie said...

It was with great interest that I read this, as we also feel the same way. We decided to not use contraceptives about one year into our marriage. Six months later, we had our first of seven children. I had one miscarriage between #4 and #5 in which I learned not to take fertility for granted. After #7, I asked God for a break and then several weeks after that prayer, I asked God to please bless us with a baby as He saw fit -- Seven years later, I was pregnant again, at 43! But I miscarried. Up until then, there had been no pregnancies. I don't know how much longer I'll be of child-bearing years, but for now God has closed my womb. We enjoy our seven children very very much and couldn't imagine life without them. We're fine with seven or 20 -- I tell all the curious people that we bought a 15 passenger van "just in case." Large families are indeed a HUGE blessing in many ways.

Sassyfrazz said...

Well written post, Lisa my friend. I think God has richly blessed you. You are a great mom, and your kids are wonderful! I hope (and pray) you will get the desire of your heart~ with another baby. :) See you tomorrow?

Ang said...

Lisa~ How great it was to read your post today.... Hubs and I decided to leave it all up to God for any additions to our family....He has finally gave the go ahead and I just saw two pink lines today!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great words, Lisa. I personally would love to have as many children as God would allow. My husband is the one who sees differently. I have had both of our babies at home, and after the last birth 8 months ago, I hemmoraged and finally went to the hospital for an IV. There was only a brief emergency shortly after I delivered, and then much later we decided to go to the ER just so I could get some fluids. That was hard on my husband to watch, and it's the main reason why he feels unsure about it. I will just pray for God's will, and see what He does=) Thanks again!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

Amen Amen Lisa. I couldn't have said it better myself. There are times that I look at our reversal miracles and shudder to think about them not being here. HOw many more might we have had if we hadn't been sterilized? I'm so glad the Lord decided to bless us.