ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

December 18, 2008

Times are Tough

Donnie and I knew that if Obama was elected that there would be a lot of layoffs. Partly out of fear of the new tax laws. It wasn't even two weeks later that Donnie found himself laid off. Not completely surprising news, as he works for a company that makes well over $250,000 a year. They know that they are going to be taxed even higher now and let a lot of people go.

We are enormously blessed that it was a large company so that we left with a severance and benefits for a time. There are so many people who will be let go with nothing. It leaves me baffled how they are going to get by.

One day I had taken Devon to the doctor and had to feed him before bringing him back to school. We stopped at Burger King for a quick lunch. Devon is not a very talkative individual on any day, but he was pretty mad at me that day, so it was a very quiet lunch. I had nothing to do but sit quietly and listen to what was going on around me.

The only conversations that were going on were about being laid off, not being able to even get an interview, not being able to get medical coverage, etc. It is heart breaking.

Times are lean for us, but at the moment we are meeting our bills. Donnie has had ONE interview. I really did not think it would be this bad. Who doesn't need a technical guy? If your system goes down, you can't make any money, right? There are jobs, but so many people are looking for jobs. It is a tough market.

We are richly blessed, and I thank my God for that. We have a warm home, two mostly working vehicles that we have insurance on, medical coverage, food, and all our children are healthy and will all be home for Christmas. We are even going to have presents under the tree! (Thanks to Mom Central there for all the reviews that paid for my Christmas)

Please join me in prayer for those who are not so fortunate. Please give to charities this season, too.

2 people think my kids are qtpies:

Grandma J said...

Absolutely! Times really are tough these days, but as bad as we think we have it, there are always people out there worse off than us. I'm going to give one of my give-away prizes to "Gifts for Kids", so it will go to someone in our school district. Jess is going to need to find a job now too. Put that one on your prayer list too please.

BTW, I tagged you in for the picture game. See my blog for details.

Sassyfrazz said...

I will keep praying for a job opening for Donnie...and for just the peace of mind. God will meet your needs...