ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

February 20, 2009

The day that wouldn't end.........

Yesterday should have been a relaxing, wonderfully lazy day at home. We were quarantined, after all. I had all the kids home from school so because we are not supposed to go anywhere until we've been on antibiotics for 24 hours. (Devon refused to take his yesterday, so he is home again, so are the other two who are still sick)

Kaytlin had a scheduled visit with Northwestern College for a special event for people who are thinking about going into education for a specialty. It couldn't be rescheduled, so we had to go. But Kaytlin lost the paperwork. We looked on the website and there was no information about times, just that it registration was over. Great. But there is one coming up for business majors, and that one had a time, so she figured it was probably the same time.
So, we got up early, and left the house just after 7am. It was going to be at 8:30 to 10am. No problem, we'd be home by noon! (it is 55 miles away)
So, we get there and there are no signs up to tell us which building to go to. Weird. (you know where this is going, right?) So we go to the normal events building and ask around. Noone knows for sure what time! Long story short, we found out it was at 7PM. Well, as long as we are there....... we got some work done, paid for her admissions fee and filled out her financial aid form and got to chat with her counsellor.
I had a coupon for free undies at Victoria's Secret with $10 off a bra, which we both needed, so we decided to go to the mall. Well, it was open at 9, but the stores weren't. Great.
So we went out to eat breakfast first. As we were sitting there Kaytlin saw David's Bridal across the street and we decided to go prom dress shopping, too.
We ate and talked to kill time. Then I looked up and saw this elderly gentleman getting up from his table and he gently helps up his very aged breakfast partner. I wasn't sure if it was his wife or his mother. They were both old, but she could have been older than him, so I am not sure. But my first instinct was that they were married. He was so patient and gentle and loving with her! He just held her arms secure for what seemed like ages to me while she got her balance. Then he lovingly told her to just stay right there and he gave her cane to her and went around behind her and helped her very gently put her jacket on.
By this time I was crying. Kaytlin was laughing at me. But wow, I just pray that Donnie and I have such a gentle and beautiful love and care for each other when we are old and frail. And I silently prayed for that for each of my children. What love!
Then the man was trying to put a scarf on her head, but he couldn't tie it. He looks over at me and asks me to come and help him tie it because his fingers just don't work like they used to.
I tied her scarf on her while tears streamed down my face.
Then the man says that he hopes to see me there next time they come in to eat, but I explained that I don't live nearby and wouldn't be back. And the woman starts talking to me in her very Russian accent about where I live.
Then he left, very slowly walking her out to their car. I just cried and cried.

Ok, now it is still only 10 AM. We head over to David's Bridal and find that they don't open until 11! Oh bugger! However, a gal sees us and offers to let us in an hour early! What a treat that was! And Kaytlin found THE dress, too. Gorgeous, the exact color she wanted and the size and the price was great! We were out of there with the perfect dress before they even opened for the day.

Now it is almost 11 and we find that this mall doesn't have a Victoria's Secret, so we head over to another mall. After spending some time getting fitted and trying things on we finally walk out with some great product. As we walked around the mall I decided to go ahead and get my hair cut. I am not sure that I like it. I'll try to get a different picture later that shows the sides.
I do like that I am getting thinner! That is me in my size 14's!!!!! Yippee!
And here is a picture of the highlights that I think make me look grey.

After all that, we were hungry. So we went to eat some lunch and it was almost 3 when we got done. Should we head home for an hour ride only to have to leave again at 6? Naw!

Kaytlin and I hopped across the parking lot and went to see a movie instead. We saw The New Town or whatever it is called. The movie about Minnesota with Renee Zellwegger. Super cute and funny! Pretty accurate, too. We do talk like that and are pretty weird out in the small hick towns.

After that we sat at Caribou and checked emails, well, I checked emails while Kaytin had about her 4th conversation with Peter all day. And not the last one, either.

Finally, we made it to the education event! Whew! I was so bored. It was so boring, Boring! But then I heard something and it made me think........... hmmmmmm. Kaytlin wants to do something with French, and she thought about teaching French, or teaching English in France. But she really feels led to be at Northwestern, where there is no French. And she can't get a dual degree with another school. So what did God want her to do? She has been looking into teaching English classes, but it didn't excite her at all. But, I wondered about something when they said they have ESL degrees. Hmm, they are not very strong on languages, but they have this degree? I wonder if you have to take a certain language for this. So, after the program we were able to talk to people in those areas. Kaytlin would need one year of college language, and she has TWO already! She would be teaching English as a second language to all sorts of nationalities, and the degree is so versatile that should could work with any age, and in any country. This type of degree even allows people access to countries that normally people can't get in to. She got very excited and has now found her career. We think, lol. You know college students, sometimes they change majors a few times.

Then we made the hour trip home, while she sat on the phone with Peter until her phone finally died. Then time with the family I hadn't seen for 14 hours and I fell sound asleep soon after.

See, the day that wouldn't end.

4 people think my kids are qtpies:

Grandma J said...

I like your new haircut! Lucky me, I already have gray highlights! Just kidding, I'm sure it looks just great.

Joyful Noise said...

The day felt like it would never end but sounds like you had lots of fun! I like the haircut too although it looked like Sam took the picture - weird angle...

michelle said...

Your long day sounds like my long day on Thursday...only longer. I can imagine you must have been exhausted. At least you got some things accomplished while you were out and were able to spend some quality time with your daughter. It wasn't a completely wasted day.

Michelle

Sassyfrazz said...

What a fun day with your oldest daughter! How sweet is that! I so look forward to doing things like that with Maddie! Even though you missed the time, you sure have memories. I hope that mine and Terry's love is like that elderly couple you saw, too. I comment to things like that with Terry. How sweet~ I probably would have bawled, too.
Miss you~