ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

February 20, 2009

Healthy bones

Do you worry about getting osteoporosis when you get older? I do. I don't like milk so I have to get my calcium and Vitamin D other ways. I like to pretend that I get enough from ice cream and broccoli, but I probably don't. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't get my Vitamin D from sun exposure!
The kids do get outside and get lots of sun, and since I am not freakish about putting sunscreen on them constantly, I know they are getting adequate Vitamin D in the summer months. But in the winter in Minnesota? Not so much. Even if they did play outside, there is precious little skin showing to absorb any sunlight.

That leaves diet to get the calcium and vitamin D necessary to absorb calcium. The kids are all big milk drinkers, but broccoli and collard greens, not so much. I don't like using supplements too much.

I am so happy to find calcium and vitamin D in many juices and in cereals. Many Big G cereals are a good source of both, and my kids love cereal. General Mills has a great website about this issue called Growing Up Strong with Big G Cereals. I was surprised to learn that 3 out of 4 children do not get enough of the recommended amounts of vitamin D and calcium.

I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that cereal and skim milk have less calories than all the other breakfast choices that I provide for the kids. Even a bowl of Cocoa Puffs with skim milk holds less calories than a bagel and cream cheese! Can you imagine it compared to bacon and eggs? It is less than half the calories of bacon, eggs and toast! (and the cholesterol?)

Check this out:

Are you aware of the recommended amount of calcium and vitamin D your child
should get each day? Better yet, did you know the American Academy of Pediatrics
recently doubled the vitamin D recommendation for children? Approximately 75% of
kids today don’t get the recommended levels of calcium and vitamin D --
two key nutrients for bone growth.
Not to worry though — as a parent, you can easily help your child get more of these two nutrients by looking for calcium and vitamin D fortified cereals, milk and juice. All General Mills Big G kid cereals (including Kix, Lucky Charms, Trix, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and more) offer a good source of BOTH calcium and vitamin D in each serving.
Additionally, a recent report in a leading consumer magazine ranked kid
cereals by nutritional content, and all nine General Mills Big G kid cereals
included in the report were ranked in the top half. All Big G kid cereals have
at least eight grams of whole grain per serving (at least 48 grams are
recommended daily), and all have 12 grams or less of sugar per serving.
Cereal is one of the most nutritious breakfast options a kid can eat.
Most cereals have about 100 – 130 calories per serving and provide
at least 10 key nutrients. And, ready-to-eat cereal is the number one source of
whole grain in American diets.


I am so relieved to find out my lazy choice of providing cereal to the kids on school days is actually a good choice. Check out Grow Up Strong to get more information, recipes and coupons!

1 people think my kids are qtpies:

Lisa said...

My kids love ceral, and mom McMuffins I make all the time.