ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

March 06, 2009

New teenage trend?

Yesterday, Kaytlin and I were leaving the eye doc and heading for the car. This is in a very rural town. You know, the kind of town where they have an old theater with one movie showing, but only a few days a week. There are old cafe's and no McDonald's or Burger King. The farm boys are big and burly, and apparently dumb.

I wouldn't normally call them dumb, but after what we saw, I think you will agree.

There was a group of guys standing in front of the food bank smoking cigarettes. (told ya) These boys were between 14 and 17, I'm guessing. Though they do make boys HUGE up there, so they could have been younger. (we've played them in football, and let me tell you, their 4th graders were bigger than our 6th graders) One of the guys had an adult sized pacifier in his mouth. Not even kidding. He'd take it out, take a drag of the cigarette and pop the paci back in his mouth. And not one of the other boys acted like it was abnormal. Not one.

Is this a new trend? And where do you get pacifiers so big? Well, I've heard of some kinky, sick people that like to pretend they are babies, but how would a teen boy get ahold of that?

Tell me this isn't going to be going on all over. I would take my boys out of public school and homeschool if I found out they were doing something so stupid.

(in the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to having had pacifiers as a fad when I was in Jr. High, we wore them as necklaces, but I think my mom should have homeschooled me at that point, lol, and the boys were NOT doing it)

5 people think my kids are qtpies:

purple6 said...

Well Lisa...sorry to say this but this has been around for quite some time! Out here in AZ they have what is called Raves (very loud dance/techno music, flashy strobe lights etc...and no, I've never been to one, lol). Teens and young adults go to these and they also do drugs like ecstasy, which is a psychedelic and and stimulant (like meth). This is a "party drug". It is not uncommon to see these kids with pacifiers in their mouths. I don't know where they get the big ones but my best guess would be a head shop.

Grandma J said...

I was going to say, I remember it being a fad a few years ago...I didn't remember it was THAT many years ago though! I was thinking it was more like when my older kids were in school.

I don't even like seeing a 3 or 4 yo walking around with one of those things hanging out of their mouths...let alone a teenager...ew!

Lisa said...

I see it here all the time in CA and I think it is the most dumbest thing ever, the kids really use it like a "Dubby" (paci)..My oldest tried to do that here at home and kept trying to be sneaky about it, saying it wasnt in his mouth. Well it was tossed in the trash after repeated warnings.

Qtpies7 said...

Ugh, I had not idea it was that far gone. crazy! And they wonder why they are not treated like adults?
Hey, maybe if they were allowed to WORK as young teens, they wouldn't need to keep acting like babies.

Sassyfrazz said...

I can't believe that is a fad that is going around. Homeschooling seems better and better everyday. Kids can be such terrible influences. A kid (almost an adult) sucking on a paci...very disturbing!