ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

August 06, 2009

38 IS Great!

I'll admit that yesterday started out poorly. Not a great birthday. Lots of not great things were going on, but I was looking forward to dinner and a movie with my husband last night. I was determined to not have a bad time. And I needed that determination. I am not one to ignore poor food or service at places I eat at. (OK, if it is free, fine, but not if I pay) We went to a new place to eat, on the recommendation of my doctor.

The first issue was with the menu. The waitress insisted that the menu was not right and I couldn't get a side with the meal, in spite of the menu saying it comes with a side unless there is an * by it. Whatever, I didn't want the rice anyway. The appetizer was delicious! Then came my soup order. I ordered broccoli cheese soup. What they brought me was pepper soup with some broccoli and cheese in it. Not even kidding. It was LOADED with cracked black pepper. Not just on top, the entire soup was filled with it.


I ended up getting my drink free because of it and a free pie for my birthday. I ordered Rhubarb custard pie, but they were out. Of course. That is the way my birthday is going, right? I ordered pie to go, but did the waitress think that meant we were ready to leave? Apparently not, since she never brought us our check.
I was not going to be in a bad mood.
We walked out of the restaurant and this is what greeted us:

Only in the Midwest are you going to walk of a restaurant and see silos across the street, lol.

I decided to make the day fun and take some goofy pics. Here is a pic of Donnie and I in the car.

Then us being goofy, this is staged, lol. Then we went to see The Ugly Truth. Well, it WAS funny. Very funny. But pretty inappropriate. Don't let your teens see that movie.

Then we headed home. We had a nice drive home, just talking and laughing. I was feeling much better.

As we pulled into our driveway I saw the kids in the kitchen. When the saw us, they very visibly started scrambling around. Then lights started going off throughout the house. Yes, something was definitely up, but what? I'm thinking at that point that they must have actually cleaned the house for me for once!

Then I got to the back door and got a little worried. Were they going to jump out and scream surprise? Did they have a surprise party planned? Naw, it was 11:30 at night. I told Donnie I better not hold my popcorn and pie in case they scared me. I was prepared, though.

So I thought.

I opened the door to the darkish kitchen, as I stepped inside I looked down and....

SCREAMED! I seriously screamed! My nasty, pitted, gouged out, gross old wooden floor was now a nice, beautiful, clean, gorgeous white linoleum!

I. Had. No. Idea.

They never let on at all. I have never been so taken by surprise before. They've never managed to pull of a complete surprise! I have been talking to Donnie about doing the floor for months. I even asked him to tell me the square footage so I could just go buy the tiles myself.

This means so much to me! And pulling off the surprise was a HUGE accomplishment and I loved every minute of it! They missed my screaming on the video, but there is about 8 minutes of me saying "Oh my gosh!" in a high pitched squeal, but I can't get it to upload to youtube or blogger. Sorry.

7 people think my kids are qtpies:

Canoearoo said...

That looks SO NICE!! Congrats!

Grandma J said...

Cool! So, how did they do this? Did Donnie hire someone, or did the kids do it themselves???

kailani said...

The floor looks great! That's the best kind of birthday present. Happy Belated Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Now you can ;) I put the video on youtube

Carina said...

Those are some amazing kids!

Lisa said...

Now don't you feel all nice and loved, how very thoughtful of your family that is so way cool in my book.

Cheryl Pitt said...

Holy cow what a great gift!! How did they manage to pull that off??