ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

February 11, 2010

Good things bring out bad feelings?

I have been feeling a bit depressed the last several months. Between losing the baby, and a great deal of chances to have more, my mother in law being hospitalized for several months and then passing away, and no sun for months, it is understandable that I would be down.

With Drew getting married, plus taking vitamin D3, being past the due date and through the funeral, I have been a bit cheerier. I have enjoyed helping plan the wedding. By helping I mean doing research for inexpensive places to shop, finding local venues to look at, setting up the date at the church, driving the bride places to shop, and helping financially. I have not made any decisions myself.

It has been fun and exhausting!

Wouldn't you know that my enjoyment would bring out the ugly in other people? I didn't expect that. I would post the things we did such as "We found the dress!" or "Wedding planning is good for me, it is curing my insomnia." Most of my friends and family were happy for us, and for me for getting to enjoy my son's wedding plans and getting to know his bride better.

But there were a couple of people who decided that I was "too happy" and "too controlling." I was told I should not have anything to do with planning the wedding. Just hand over the money and let the bride loose. I was told I was controlling the wedding and not letting the bride choose anything. I explained that it was not the case, the bride is doing the choosing, I am doing research and driving, and in fact, if I had not done research, the bride would not have her dream wedding dress, since the style was NOT in her mom's budget, even with me helping.

Those two people would not stop telling me that I was controlling the wedding and that I should plan my own wedding vows since I was too happy with helping Jannessa. Both Drew and Jannessa said that I was not deciding anything and that they were thrilled with my help, but that only fueled their fire.

I have now lost a relationship with my sister, and a long time friend. Over a wedding that neither of them have any business worrying about. The friend isn't even close enough to send an invite to.

I would be willing to let it drop, if they would stop when I asked them to stop, but they "didn't do anything wrong." I was wrong to argue with them. I was wrong to explain myself. They weren't wrong to malign my character publicly on facebook with myself, several friends, family and the bride and groom telling them they were wrong. Then my sister dropped all my family off of her friend list so she could say horrid things about me (her words), and my friend dropped me so she could take part in the maligning.

Fun times, huh?

What is it about happiness that makes other people do ugly things?

I am sad to lose a closeness with my sister. I have worked hard to try to have a close relationship with her. I have never judged her lifestyle or her parenting, while listening to years and years of how I am doing things wrong and constant critisism. I have never said bad things about her, just tried to be a supportive older sister. Breaks my heart.

But I am still happily making wedding plans! Tomorrow the bride and I get to go look at a caterer and his venue, and we are both excited about it!

8 people think my kids are qtpies:

Anna said...

I am very happy that you get to be that involved in all of it and I think it is great that you and Janessa get a long so well.

Jackie said...

When it comes to family drama, and I have been involved in my own family drama, I take a piece of advice from Dr. Laura (the radio psychologisit). "Just be polite." People will be who they are, and there is nothing that you can do in your own power to change that. Be polite. Live your own life with your own responsibilities. So I hope this for you, that time will heal some of the hurtful things that have been said and you can move on with the ups and downs of family drama! In the meantime, enjoy that wonderful wedding. What a blessing! I'm so excited for you!

Mrs. Stam said...

praying for her!!! and Am Happy that your happy :-)

Carina said...

Crazy how happiness and love can exist at the same time as bitterness and anger. So sorry that you've had to experience the second again, but thrilled that you get to be a part of the first!

Joyful Noise said...

Janessa should only be happy you are her MIL not mine!

Lisa said...

I am so sorry to see that the "Mean spirited" comments had gotten out of hand. Are there other things going on in their lives right now make bringing your joy down better for them?
Just take the high road, be the better person, do the Godly thing by loving them still and praying for them even when it hurts.

Have fun and continue with your helping and planning,it is fun isnt it!

Jackie said...

I think that it is wonderful that your son and his fiance want your help with wedding planning. I can only hope my children feel the same way!

Shell said...

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear of this. Sometimes family cruelty can be the worst. As far as a friends well, I guess she wasn't one after all.

I understand your heartbreak. I had a big blowout at Christmas time with my lil sis. She accused me of all kinds of stuff I didn't do. We are not talking anymore. After what she wrote in a letter to me; it looks like she's all Right and I'm crazy and need physicological help. LOL Never mind that she is actually on some kind of meds because her husband said he can't take anymore. Anger is a nasty thing that can be misused and abused to hurt to the core.

I'm hoping you know your not alone. I feel your doing a very kind thing helping you son and future dil. When your not doing anything wrong, let it run off your back like a duck. Pouring it out to God helps too.

Hope things get better soon,
Shell in Ohio