ss_blog_claim=8ec1466a89eb4f6f610664b853a97eba
Our 7 Qtpies

April 26, 2010

Kids, gotta love them!

Sam has been struggling with going to church for well over a year. I think it started when we tried to put him in Childrens Church which starts at age 2. They teachers wouldn't come get me when he wouldn't stop crying. He cried the entire class, and has never stepped a foot back in that room willingly again. It is also when he stopped going to the nursery happily.
Many people in the nursery and SS rooms tell me to just leave him, he will stop crying. No, he won't stop crying. He won't. I've tried. Over and over and over and over. He doesn't stop. In fact, he will try to escape and will succeed if you are not diligent. The more he screams, the longer it is before he goes to class willingly.

We've been attending a different church on Saturday nights so that our kids who work on Sundays can get to church. Sam needs to go to the class because children are not ALLOWED in the service. They play the music so loud that they hand out earplugs when you are walking in. Sam couldn't do that, lol. I can't even handle it with ear plugs.

So I have been taking him to class and giving him time to adjust to going in while I am avoiding the loud music. It takes some time. The room has a neat ball pit that kids walk through to get to class, and it is filled with blow up fish and octopus things. Very fun! But he won't go right away. So we sit outside looking in while the kids play. Then they clean up and start the lesson. The lesson is on a video and after the lesson they play a music time, also on video, and the teachers hand out blow up microphones for the kids to sing along with. The first teacher brought him one and he said "This not work!" But he participated and soon afterwards he went in to play. I left him there and he didn't want to leave!

This week I brought him and the new teacher kept telling me he would be fine, she has 3 kids and they quit crying if you just leave them. Um, no, I have 7 kids and I know that he won't stop crying and he WILL escape, the route is just too easy. So, since I don't know what I am doing, the teachers and helpers kept coming over to talk to him.

That sent him running behind me with his nose up my butt. Yeah, not gonna work. But they keep trying, driving his nose further up my butt. Super fun for me. Not. Hello, just go do your job, and he will come in after the microphones.

So, they did their thing, gave him a mic, he sang with them, then I told him to go put the microphone back in the bucket like the other kids, and he hopped over, did it and ran for the toys without looking back! And he didn't want to leave again, lol.

I am going to keep doing it my way, and I know he will love it eventually. He does love it, he asks to go back and doesn't want to leave. I just know that one day he will just run in there without looking back and I'll have to find some other reason to avoid the loud music. But I won't miss the nose up my butt.

1 people think my kids are qtpies:

Joyful Noise said...

It is great that you get to enjoy church without him...